As some of you may know, I REALLY would like a dog, a miniature dachshund to be specific, but right now its unrealistic. Joel and I have very unpredictable work hours, so it would be unfair to bring someone else into the equation, even though I’m sure we would make it work. Interestingly my sister-in-law and I seemed to be on the same wave length, but now her work schedule has changed and now they have a little pup named Milo! Surprisingly a Miniature Dachshund!
Milo is the cutest short haired Miniature Dachshund, he is a 10 week old black and tan little bundle of fun! He is definitely being a pup right now, being naughty, getting stuck under the sofa and other puppy antics. He was bred in Surrey but now resides in London with his two loving owners!
As self elected ‘Puppy God Parent’ I took it upon my self to scour the internet to find out whats good and bad about the breed and puppy training tips, so I think that maybe down below I will attach some of the rings we found helpful!
Miniature Dachshund Character Traits
(SOME OF THESE TRAITS MAY DEPEND ON THE ACTUAL DOGS CHARACTER)
- They are well suited to apartments as they can damage their spine using stairs.
- Lots of their exercise needs can be fulfilled in the home.
- Miniature pups eat less, so food bills will be lower.
- They can be easily paper trained, which is an advantage if you are in an apartment 3 floors up!
- Watch your step due to their size they can be hard to see!
- Miniatures bark more than the standard Dachshunds.
- They have little patience to rough play so supervision is recommended when playing with children.
- Due to this mischievous nature, they can often get themselves stuck in small crevices in your home.
Training Tips for Miniature Dachshunds
Dachshunds need a little more patience whilst training than other breeds but firmness and consistency will achieve the desired results.
You should aim to be training your puppy every day, in 5-7 minute sessions around 3 times a day. Little and often will be more effective then intensive training on the weekend and nothing in-between.
- Walking on the leash
- Sit and stay
- Down and stay
- His or Her Name
Im sure there will be a video up shortly on my Youtube Channel soon, but for now just enjoy the images of the little rascal!